The Company works towards high standards of professional performance. It is made up of a dynamic group of dancers aged 60 and over who are excited by the opportunity to perform. They enjoy the challenge of learning new techniques, working together to choreograph moves. The members love having the opportunity to dance at the age they are. Participants find being part of a team an added bonus and the exercising and concentration required a big plus. There was an immediate connection between the Company members, who have a wide range of experience in both life and dance, which manifests itself in their work. Led by Rehearsal Director Roz Conlon, the Company aims to encourage and develop high quality work of a professional standard, to be performed to audiences.
Professional choreographers who have worked with the company include: Charlotte Spencer, Neon Dance (Adrienne Hart), Lila Dance (Abi Mortimer and Carrie Whitaker) and Liz Aggiss. Abi and Liz created pieces with the company which were performed at the event DANCE SIX-0 and Friends in July 2017
Becoming a company member does not rely on having particular technical skill or specific dance experience- it is about the quality with which you engage in the movement .
Criteria for becoming a company member-
- a willingness to be expressive with your own body
- some performance quality- being able to look comfortable in given tasks and not look like you would rather hide behind others
- a willingness to learn new skills, in technique, improvisation and choreography
- a willingness to explore given movement material in a way that is personal and honest
- a willingness to be self-motivated in the sessions but also to work well with the other company members
- an ability to commit to the weekly sessions, rehearsal and performance schedule
Choreographers interested in working with DANCE SIX-O should register their interest with Vicky Thornton.
Dancers wishing to join The Company should register their interest with Vicky Thornton and enrol in a term of Open Classes.